A little preparation can go a long way
No two homes or sellers are exactly alike, so while not all of these suggestions will be applicable to your situation it can be helpful to have a starting point to get yourself in the mindset of a potential buyer. Your Roots agent is always happy to come by the property and help you prioritize what should be done before your house hits the market.
Download and Electronically Fill Out Checklist: Right-click the link and choose “Save Link As…” to save the document to your computer. That way you can fill it out electronically on your computer more conveniently.
Roof and Gutters
- Clear obstructions from vents, louvers, and chimneys.
- Check trim for rot, decay, and peeling paint.
- Inspect chimney for any loose or missing mortar.
- Inspect seals around roof stacks, vents, skylights, and chimneys.
Windows and Doors
- Look for and replace any broken or cracked window panes.
- Make sure all doors open and close smoothly.
- Check condition of weather stripping and caulking.
- Examine paint. Repaint or touch up where necessary.
- Test doorbell and alarm system.
- Clean windows to let in as much light as possible; clean window sills, tracks, blinds, etc.
- Remedy squeaking and creaking.
- Check exterior walls for cracks.
- Replace loose or missing caulk.
- Repair drywall cracks and chips.
- Repair loose or damaged siding, stucco, brick, stone, etc.
- Look for areas where insects may be entering the home and seal those off. Treat professionally if necessary.
- Repair concrete or blacktop if necessary.
- Clean grease or other stains.
- Remove grass or weeds growing from driveway seams.
- Test garage door opener for smooth and quiet operation.
- Clean and organize the garage.
- Test electrical outlets.
- Lubricate hinges and other hardware on your garage door.
- Inspect doors and windows for any peeling paint.
- Put away tools that are considered dangerous.
Walk around and visually inspect for cracks. Check walls, steps, retaining walls, walkways, and patios for disrupted areas. Fix where necessary.
- Check sprinkler system for broken heads or cracked pipes.
- Adjust sprinklers which spray onto walkways.
- Mow and edge lawn. Sod where necessary.
- Trim hedges, prune trees and shrubs.
- Weed and mulch flower beds.
Walls and Ceilings
- Repair cracks, holes, or damage to drywall.
- Check condition of paint and wallpaper. Repaint or touchup where necessary.
- Clean scuffs, fingerprints, grease, and dirt off of walls and baseboards.
- Think about changing any bold or unique colors to more neutral tones.
- Organize cabinets and pantry.
- Clean out and organize refrigerator.
- Check for leaks in faucets, pot fillers or hot water dispensers.
- Clean and polish all appliances
- Clean and degrease exhaust fan or vent hood on stove.
- Remove accumulation of grease from cooking areas.
- Check for insects under sink or in food storage areas. Professionally treat if necessary.
- Check tile joints, grouting, and caulking.
- Remove mildew.
- Repair leaking faucets and shower heads.
- Check the condition of painted or wallpapered walls.
- Test operation of toilet and faucets.
- Check underside of roof for leaks, stains, or dampness.
- Look around chimney for condensation or signs of water.
- Clean and clear ventilation openings if necessary.
- Clean out stored junk.
- Inspect for creaking boards, loose, missing, or cracked tiles and worn areas.
- Test the staircases for loose handrails or posts or worn tread.
Check for signs of dampness, cracked walls or damaged floors and ceilings.
- Check exposed wiring and outlets for signs of wear or damage.
- Repair and test switches and outlets.
- If any part of your electrical system is in question, hire a professional to service it.
- Check water pressure when faucets in bathroom(s) and kitchen are turned on.
- Look for leaks at faucets, sink traps, and valves.
- Clear slow-running or clogged drains.
- Have septic systems serviced and emptied if necessary.
- If any part of your plumbing system is in question, hire a professional to service it.
Heating and Cooling Systems
- Change or clean furnace and air conditioning filters.
- Clear and clean areas around heating and cooling equipment.
- Have equipment serviced if needed.